Just Sandy

This is my blog space thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A foodie post: Sriracha Honey Garlic Chicken and Veggies

Happy Tuesday which feels just like a Monday because yesterday was Memorial Day! Memorial Day is such an amazing day that we get to honor and remember all the soldiers who lost their lives serving for our freedom in America. Most Americans celebrate by getting together, wearing Red, White and Blue and having food! I took part in the BBQ-ing tradition and made some fantastic skewers that quite a few people have now asked for the recipe. I thought I should blog about it, then pin it to share this amazing recipe with anyone who wants some good, healthy, amazingly flavorful, spicy food!

Now I am one of those people, sometimes referred to as a "granola" person that eats practically all organic and non-GMO foods. I actually have an inactive blog I started when I had more time to devote to helping people with tips and tricks to being more health, but since I hardly ever use it I am going to share it on my "lifestyle" blog.

Here we go!

The above is prepped skewer... I don't have a picture of them after they are grilled but yes, they still looked (and tasted) delicious!

Here is what to buy to make as many as are in the above picture:

  • 1 pound or approximately 4-5 organic fed and cage free chicken thighs
  • 1 large bag of organic sweet peppers (you will have left overs which are great on salads or as a snack)
  • 2-3 organic medium to large zucchini's
  • 2 organic medium yellow crook neck squash (or as I like to call them yellow zucchini)
  • 1 medium to large organic red onion
  • Fresh garlic 
  • 1 bottle of Organic Sriracha Sauce (can't find it in the store? get it here but I find it cheaper at the store) this one tastes absolutely hands down better than all the others
  • Approx. 16 oz raw local honey
  • Metal or wood skewers (if you use wood soak them for several hours so they don't burn when grilling)


Instructions:
  • Mix 1/2 cup Sriracha sauce, 1/2 cup honey and 3 cloves mince garlic in a small bowl
  • Cut chicken into cubes at desired size (keep in mind that you want them to cook inside before the veggies burn)
  • In a separate bowl combine approx. 3/4 of the sauce mixture with the cubed chicken and let it marinate for 30 minutes or over night in the fridge.
  • While chicken is marinating slice all veggies into skewer size slices (use picture for reference) (I cut the tops off of the sweet peppers and that took most if not all of the seeds out)
  • Layer in whatever order you would like *Note* the thickest part of the yellow squash I folded over slightly so the skewer went through twice some broke but still layered fine
  • After skewer is built use a marinating brush or just drizzle over the entire skewer with the 1/4 that is left of the sauce. Any left over marinade from the chicken should be poured on too.
  • Grill um up!
This is very simple and fun to make especially for a party but it got me thinking as I was taste testing with a few left over cuts of each item... this would be awesome over brown rice or quinoa! So the next night I did the same thing except I pan cooked the chicken in 3/4 of the sauce (after marinating) and covered it so the sauce would stay with the chicken, I cooked the cut veggies in another pan with the 1/4 left over sauce and combine them to put over rice and you know what? IT WAS AMAZING! And I added mushrooms! You can always make some more sauce just use a 1 to 1 ratio of Sriracha and honey and vary the garlic accordingly.

Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment